Monday, January 30, 2012

Taking it to the teams

We had a pretty awesome week! We found some new people to teach on the basketball team and on the football team at the local college.  One is from Jamaica and the other is from Australia. We had some really good lessons! The one on the football team said he was really curious as to what Mormons were and then we came and knocked on his apartment door and he just couldn't turn us down. The coaching staff has a lot of Mormons and one that is married to a Mormon that goes to church every Sunday, so he was pretty curious. He had been asking around and no one knew anything about the church. So we went over and  taught him the restoration and he loved it! We compared the gospel to a mirror and how if you were to break a mirror you can't just glue it back together, there are still flaws, you have to get a whole new one and he was like, "So that's what God did with Joseph Smith, he sent a whole new church without  flaws!" We showed him a couple scriptures that he had read before and he said it was a completely different than how he interpreted them previously and it made so much more sense. He was really excited to learn about the Book of Mormon too, and in the lesson he was telling us that he had something that had been on his mind and that he normally doesn't like to tell people, but he asked, "Do you guys think the Bible is accurate, because I read it and I hear about all that went on and I feel like it's just not what it should be", and my companion and Hayden (a football player that was with us) and I just started smiling and nodding our head and he was like, "Everyone I say that to says I'm crazy!" haha! So that was a cool experience.  He wasn't able to make it to church though because a hometown friend showed up this weekend, but he promised next Sunday.  He and Hayden are both on the football team and the next day when he saw Hayden he ran up to him and said thank you so much! haha! He is a 280 pound black Jamaican football player and after the lesson he said he "felt like I was light as air".
 
Well, its been nice down here, we have done some biking cause we are almost out of miles for the month.  We got to go play tennis on Saturday with Janna, the new member from Holland, she is on the tennis team and she dominates!  We played some doubles and  she was on my team so we dominated! and I think I might have helped just a little.
 
To answer your question Mom, we have a ward here in Thibodaux.  I've still never been in a branch yet, we  had a group meeting in Abbeville, but no branch.
 
Well, have fun in the snow, I've been being working on my tan! haha!   
Live well you guys!
 
love elder ritchie

No comments:

Post a Comment